Monday, August 28, 2006

Stuffed Breasts

...chicken breasts...I'm not talking Pamela's girlfriends.

I don't know what made me think this recipe up, but I thought it was interesting.

Chicken Breasts
Stuffed w/Carmelized Shallots, Smoked Almonds and Cheese

2 Chicken Breasts
2 TB Alouette Cheese (w/herbs)
2 TB chopped Smoked Almonds
1 large Shallot, thinly sliced
5 Sage Leaves, thinly sliced
Salt/Pepper
1 TB Olive Oil

1 Egg
1/3 Cup Flour, seasoned with salt/pepper
3/4 Cup Bread Crumbs
3 TB Olive Oil

Preheat oven to 400.

In an oven-safe medium skillet, carmelize your shallots in the olive oil. Add the sage. Add a pinch of salt and pepper. About 5 minutes. Reserve to a small bowl and allow to cool.

Mix your carmelized shallots with the cheese and chopped almonds.

Cut a pocket into the center of the side of the chicken breast. Stuff with 1/2 the cheese mixture.

In your medium skillet, heat your 3 TB olive oil over a medium high flame. On 3 plates, set out flour, egg and bread crumbs.

Coat the breasts with flour, dip in the egg, then coat with the bread crumbs. Place in the hot oil and cook until golden brown and delicious. Turn the chicken over and move your pan into the oven for 15 minutes.

Remove from the oven and allow to rest for 5 minutes before serving.

Enjoy.

And now the photo essay:

The almonds I used. Very tasty, great for snacking.

Here's the cheese. Tasty, great for snacking! No really, on some nice crackers. Delish. The cheese is similiar to a mild, light cream cheese, which I would probably use if I couldn't find the Alouette--near the deli specialty cheeses.

The carmelized shallots with the sage.

Sage. I love it. Don't be afraid of using sage at a time other than autumn!

The cheese mixture: Shallots, Sage, Alouette, Almonds, Salt & Pepper.

I used Panko Breadcrumbs to coat my chicken. I love the texture!

The chicken is nearly done on the stove top...but wait...there is a raw spot in the upper right side. We could probably finish cooking the chicken on the stove top, but could risk burning the breadcrumbs. That's why I moved these into the oven.

Raw spot is gone and they are done!

So pretty.

So Tasty. The filling was delicious. It could have used a touch more salt and pepper. Also more sage! And I think I might carmelize the shallots in some butter...but then we're getting into dangerous "Shut Up" territory! Next time we'll try these additions.

Sure the presentation wasn't that great, but it was tasty. Blanched green beans quickly sauted in butter and lemon juice. Mmmmm!

4 comments:

ScottE. said...

Funny thing...it took longer to create this post than it did to cook the dinner!

Dancer in DC said...

Very good! I'd agree with ScottE that you can't go wrong by adding more sage - it can get a bit over-powered by the almonds.

And more stuffing! It's so divine, I couldn't get enough. ScottE suggested if you can get thicker chicken breasts, you'll be able to stuff them more.

DC Food Blog said...

Really? Because breading things and stuffing things in the middle of other things? Looks hard. Is there really anything that can't be made better with some alouette and panko? Skip the middleman and bread some alouette in panko. :)

Stef said...

I love Alouette. It's a wine-tasting staple, cuz nothing goes better with a semi-dry white than some Alouette with water crackers. LOVE IT!

So, could this kind of stuffed chicken dish be done by baking in the oven the whole time? Skipping the panko step? I've never really been one for much breading, but I like the idea of the stuffed breasts.