Saturday, August 05, 2006

But what about the shrimps?

Spicy Coconut Shrimp
w/Spicy Mango Basil Salsa & Lime Jasmine Rice

Recipe courtesy Dave Lieberman


Yield: 2 to 4 servings

I marinate the shrimp in a sweet and spicy coconut milk marinade then I cook them in a dry pan. The salsa finishes it off with more sweetness and heat. Basil keeps the tongue awake through it all.
Salsa:
1 mango, peeled and finely diced
3 scallions, sliced
5 basil leaves, julienned
1 lime, juiced
salt and freshly ground black pepper

Shrimp:
2 fresh jalapenos, sliced
3 cloves garlic, thinly sliced
½ inch piece ginger, peeled and grated
2 TB dark brown sugar
2 TB soy sauce
½ lime, zested
¼ cup coconut milk
Small handful basil leaves, torn
2 TB vegetable oil
½ tsp salt
15 grinds pepper
1 lb peeled, deveined shrimp

Lime Jasmine Rice, recipe follows

For the salsa: Combine all ingredients together in a mixing bowl. Make up to a day in advance. Keep covered in the refrigerator.


For the shrimp: In a mixing bowl, combine jalapenos, garlic, ginger, brown sugar, soy sauce, lime zest, coconut milk, basil, vegetable oil, salt and pepper. Add the shrimp and marinate for at least 30 minutes and up to 4 hours, refrigerated.

Heat a nonstick skillet over high heat. Use tongs or a fork to remove the shrimp from the marinade and place in an even layer in the pan, reserving the marinade. Cook the shrimp until well browned on each side, turning once, about 3 to 4 minutes total. Transfer cooked shrimp to a serving plate.

Add reserved marinade to pan, bring to a boil and cook until slightly thickened, about 5 minutes.
Pour over the cooked shrimp and serve with Lime Jasmine Rice and Mango Salsa.

Lime Jasmine Rice:
1 cup jasmine rice
¾ cup coconut milk
1 cup water
Pinch salt
½ lime, zested

Put the rice, coconut milk, water, and salt in a saucepan and bring to a simmer. Cover and gently simmer until liquid is absorbed, about 12 to 15 minutes. Fluff with a fork and stir in the lime zest. Serve immediately.



This was really tasty and easy. I prepared the marinade for the shrimp and let them hang out for about 3 hours, and the salsa hung out for the same amount of time. And when it came time to cook, in the time the rice cooked, dinner was done!!! And it was soo good. I was really suprised that this dish wasn't more spicy. The two jalapenos with the garlic and ginger. I'm guessing the coconut milk tamed the heat. And the salsa. Mmmmm. With the rice, it was all just divine. I can't wait to make this again!

5 comments:

Dancer in DC said...

This was so delicious, and I think the key was the marinating of the shrimp. It didn't taste fishy at all - very sweet and savory. The salsa gives it a nice tang.

Stef said...

I saw this episode and remembered thinking it seemed really easy. (And Dave is always good eye candy.) I'm glad it turned out so well for real! If you're ever looking for a meal to make for me.... ;-)

Lady Brandenburg said...

Looks fabulous. Any advice on buying a good mango - how to know it's good/ripe?

Just wanted to add that I made shrimp scampi last night, based loosely on my mom's recipe (which is mainly in her head, she sort of does it differently every time)... and I added extra dry sherry this time (instead of what some people use - white wine)... and YUM. I am now conidering it my secret ingredient. Cuts the butter with a zesty flavor. I'm proud of myself!

ScottE. said...

The mango I bought felt heavy for it's size and was firm, but with a gentle squeeze had some give. It was my first mango, so my experience is limited. But it was super juicy and the aroma actually reminded me a bit of gin. It was really tasty with the shrimp and I can see doing something similiar with chicken in the future.

Yeah for secret ingredients.

ScottE. said...

Made this again tonight. Really spicy this time. I'm not really sure why. I only did 1/2 the recipe, so only 1 jalapeno. All the better for the spicy heat to be tamed by the cool sweet mango.