It just keeps coming...more berries! I think this will be it for awhile, in terms of berries. They are mostly gone at this point...just need to do something with the raspberries. Ms. L shared this recipe with me after we went berry pickin' this weekend. I had 4 lbs of blueberries to use, so why the heck not. Blueberry Buckle! What's a Buckle? Here's a Buckle and other fruit desserts.
1 hour 25 minutes
15 mins prep
70 minutes to cook
30-45 minutes to cool
3/4 cup whole-wheat flour (or spelt flour)
1/3 cup sugar
1 teaspoon cinnamon
1/2 teaspoon baking powder
1/4 teaspoon salt
4-6 tablespoons canola oil
1 cup whole-wheat flour (or spelt flour)
1 cup all-purpose flour
2 teaspoons baking powder
3/4 cup maple syrup
1/3 cup canola oil
2 teaspoons vanilla extract
1/2 teaspoon salt
4 cups fresh blueberries
Preheat oven to 350°F.
1. Grease 9 inch springform pan and wrap bottom with foil or place parchment paper on the bottom before clipping the sheath together.
2. For Streusel: In bowl, combine flour, sugar, cinnamon, baking powder, and salt. Stir in oil 1 tablespoon at a time until the mixture looks crumbly. Set aside for later.
3. For Cake: Sift flours and baking powder into a bowl.
4. In a second bowl, whisk together syrup, oil, vanilla, and salt.
5. Stir syrup mixture into flour mixture. Fold in the blueberries.
6. Spread batter in prepared pan. Sprinkle streusel over the top.
7. Bake for 1 hour and 10 minutes, or until toothpick inserted in center comes out clean.
8. Cool 30 minutes on wire rack.
9. Allow to cool 15 more minutes, unmold, and serve. (With ice cream!!!)
Oh, and it's vegan!
This was really easy to make and I would certainly do it again. The instructions to fold the berries into the batter should really say something like 'cut the berries into the dough.' The batter is really thick and the berries don't really fold well into that sort of dough. Also, I didn't have real maple syrup so Madame ButterJamima filled in. It's just sugar, one way or another. I'd like to try it with real maple though, see how the flavor improves!