Wednesday, June 21, 2006

Hot Packets!

I don't know really what brought this conversation up with Terri in Wi the other day, but she started telling me about something her mother makes and that it was her brother's favorite. After some discussion, I decided to try this tonight:

(sorry, no measurements again)

Hot Packets, Tex Mex Style

1 tube of poppin' fresh crescent roll dough
Cooked chicken
Roasted red pepper, sliced
Salsa
Shredded Cheese

Unroll the poppin' fresh and push two of the triangles together to form a square. Lay in some chicken, peppers, salsa and cheese. Fold over to make a little pocket, squeeze and seal the edges.

Beat one egg and brush ontop, sprinkle on a little extra cheese. Bake for about 17 minutes. Yum!

These were good. I'd maybe make these again. I won't say, but my chicken was cilantro lime chicken and I used homemade salsa...but I think if you buy all premade ingredients, you can make this really super easy.

Terri in WI....what is the filling your mom uses? I think there are a bajillion options as to where you can go with this.


The tube of poppin' fresh had 6 'rolls' in it, so that made three packets.

Once they cool a touch, you can actually eat them with your hand. Tasty little things.

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

I believe we started off talking about parm chicken and how mom makes 'em as chicken strips for dunkin' or for sandwich wraps...which somehow made me think of the chicken packets. I don't have the exact recipe at the moment, but the filling is cream cheese, milk, cooked chicken chunks, onion and pimentos. Wrap it in the crescent roll dough, then crumble dried bread crumbs, or crushed croutons on the top, I think.

Lady Brandenburg said...

Just sent the recipe to Lord B - my resident cook of late. This and the chicken parm look scrum-diddle-y-umptious.

Selena Kang said...

This looks incredibly good! Can you recommend some other fillings for a picky boyfriend who doesn't like tomatoes or red peppers? I think he will deal with the tomatoes if he has to because it is in a salsa, but he might have a hard time around the peppers.

ScottE. said...

I think the fillings could be any number of things really...I'm thinking my next filling will be turkey/chicken, apples, red onions and cheddar cheese (my favorite sandwich at Olsson's cafe--the Edgar Allen Poe sandwich)!!?!?

Could do what Terri's mom does, cream cheese, milk (to thin the cream cheese) chicken, onions, pimentos...make it more like a calzone...tomato sauce, sausage or pepperoni, mozzarella?

Go German and add bratwurst, sauerkraut and mustard....yummy tasty food combinations in one packet. leftover meatloaf, potatoes, gravy?

I'm SoOOO HUNGRY NOW!!!


ANY other ideas? A fresh summer veg medley with pesto?

ScottE. said...

Ohhh, make it a sweet combination with some fruit compote sort of thing and pretend they are a breakfast hot packet! apples, cinnamon, raisins...peaches & blueberries...pinapple & coconut.

Dancer in DC said...

My favorite pocket was always chicken, cheddar and broccoli - I'm sure you could replicate that if you just bought some frozen florets, blanched them, and then cut them into small pieces.

Selena Kang said...

Oooh...possibilities are endless, seems like! Thanks for the advice!