Friday, May 05, 2006

First test of Guy

So the winner of The Next Food Network Star was selected a few weeks ago. Guy Fieri won...not my choice, but that's ok...I knew Reggie wasn't going to win, but was hopeful.

During the second to last episode, we, the viewers, got a look at what the contestant's shows would be like. I liked the recipe that Guy prepared and decided that I would make it tonight...a sort of Cinco de Mayo thing...but not really....really just a southwestern take on an Alfredo sauce. The Cinco de Mayo thing is really the Coronas we're drinking now!

I made some alterations to Guy's recipe before starting out...here it is:

Tequila Turkey Fettuccini
Recipe adapted from Guy Fieri

1 TB olive oil
½ red onion, cut into strips
1 minced jalapeno
4 cloves minced garlic
1 red pepper, roasted, prepped and sliced
½ to 1 LB turkey breast, cooked, sliced
2 shots tequila
4 oz heavy cream
fresh lemon juice from 1 lemon
small handful chopped cilantro leaves
½ box fettuccini pasta, cooked
¼ cup grated Parmesan
2 lime wedges, for garnish
One diced Roma tomato, for garnish
1 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper

In sauté pan with high heat, add olive oil, onions, jalapeno and sauté until translucent. Add garlic, roasted red peppers and continue to sauté for 2 minutes.

Deglaze pan with tequila, pouring around the edge of the sauté pan. Allow to reduce by half. Add the lemon juice and the sliced turkey, lightly mix ingredients, careful not to break turkey up to much.

Add cream and toss together, if it's a bit thin, allow to reduce over high heat, until slightly thickened, add pasta and toss ingredients while adding Parmesan cheese.

Nest pasta on plate, pour sauce over pasta. Sprinkle tomatoes on top and cracked pepper around the rim of the plate.


This was really tasty! We liked it. Our one recommendation would be less parmesan...strange for me to say, I know....but it was just one bit more than we really needed....a TB or two and that's all that's necessary...maybe even just sprinkle it on top, not tossed in with the sauce & pasta. Outside of that, the rest of the recipe listed above was really tasty! The Tequila was awesome and highly recommended.

4 comments:

Dancer in DC said...

Yes, definitely less parmesean - just enough to add some thickness, I guess. With the amount in the recipe, it becomes savory/salty, and you miss the sweet/tangy taste of the citrus and tequila.

ScottE. said...

FYI: I bought turkey cutlets at Giant. I put some salt & pepper & cumin on them. Sauted them lightly in some olive oil in a large pant...just about 3 minutes per side...until cooked through and golden and delicious. Then I just turned the pan off and let them sit there while I prepared the rest of my ingredients. Then I took out the turkey and sliced it, put it in the bowl and pour on top of that, any accumulated juices in the pan. Then when it came time to saute the onions, I didn't really need to add any extra olive oil to the pan and was able to pull up all those yummy bits on the bottom of my pan!

Stef said...

That sounds deelish! I love the idea of the citrus and tequila added to a regular old tetrazzini. My mom made the mushroom soup version the whole time I was growing up. This would give it a nice kick!

Anonymous said...

I made the recipe with shrimp instead of turkey and it was fantastic!