Thursday, April 13, 2006

Pizza! Pizza!

Before I forget my own name, I have to share the dining experience we had two weeks ago when J-lo’s mom was visiting…I did promise afterall.

On Saturday, April 1st, we got up bright and early and headed to the National Zoo to see our second favorite Butterstick. Well, the most favorite butterstick is actually edible, wrapped in gold and imported from Ireland.

After roaming the zoo for a few hours, we were starving. Being somewhat in the neighborhood, we headed up Macomb Street to 2 AMY’S.

EVERY SINGLE WEEK on the Tom Sietsema chats on WashingtonPost.com, someone asks Tom: “Where can I get good pizza in Washington?” And Tom’s basic response is: “Everyone, say it with me…2 AMY’S!”

The pressure finally was enough to get me up to that neighborhood. It’s funny, we used to live up there when in grad school at American University and at that time, we’d be hanging at Cactus Cantina for chips and salsa and stale margaritas. If were kickin’ it up, we would go next door Café Deluxe. But the funniest thing about this neighborhood, on the corner of Macomb and Wisconsin Avenues is Zebra Lounge. Zebra Lounge used to be Brothers Coffee. And it was where J-lo and I had our first date on 12/03/99.

Anyway….back to the point.

2 AMY’S is a tiny little pizzeria tucked almost out of view, off of Wisconsin Avenue. Specializing in authentic Neapolitan pizzas, this place is worth a trip! You walk in and have the large wood/brick oven to your right and several tables on the left. This place is tiny, but frankly, I don’t think it would rock as much if it were a larger restaurant.

We were almost immediately seated, despite the short line at the door. When we were walking up we said it might take us a while to get a table…not at all. But this was like 2pm on a Saturday.

The menu is short and sweet. Featuring several types of pizzas and some small bites.

I had the 2 AMY’S pizza with meatballs. Really, it’s a perfect crisp, blistered and chewy crust topped with tomato sauce and mozzarella, some salt and olive oil. The meatballs were pretty darn good. But just a ‘wee’ bit dry.

But we didn’t start with pizza; I’m getting ahead of myself. We had some beautiful Procuitto di Parma on some very lovely bread. And after snarfed that down I remembered hearing about their Risotto Balls, so we ordered some Suppli a Telefono (rice balls with mozzarella and something else…the rice was slightly orange and almost tangy.) But OMG! Sooo good.

Then of course, the pizzas came. I ate mine all by my unsharing self. And I was bound and determined to eat it all!!! I think I did too.

J-lo and his mother shared the Margherita Extra…a Margherita with cherry tomatoes. From the sounds of it, they enjoyed theirs as well.

And I think I’m missing something??? Like we had something else to start…but I can’t remember???

Regardless, if you like a good old school, authentic pizza, head to 2 AMY’S. And FYI: They are certified by the Verace Pizza Napoletana Association…aka, the PIZZA POLICE.

1 comment:

Dancer in DC said...

You forgot the yummy risotto balls! Delicious. Really good pizza place. Really good everything place!