Sunday, January 22, 2006

I've got the blues...

This morning I made a quick Blueberry Scone to go with this mornings hot coffee. Not to go into the long long story, I'm on some crazy ass head medicine that leaves me feeling hungover more often than not...the coffee is a godsend! (Two weeks until the next appointment with the Dr., to see if what else we might try-keep your fingers crossed).

Anywhoo....the coffee...yum....but the scones...simple and tasty!

I had a package of dried blueberries in the cupboard. I took 1/2 cup of them and put 1/2 cup of boiling water on them for about ten minutes. Then drained them. Set them aside.

Then I went to this recipe here, for Ginger Scones.

I did everything exactly the same, except that I used the blueberries instead of the crystallized ginger. I didn't have have milk, so I used heavy cream. Also, I added the cream first, then added the blueberries as the last step. Once in the oven, 12 minutes later I had fresh yummy scones!




_+_+_+_+_+_+_+_+_+_+_+_+_+_+_+_


And speaking of "The Blues..."

Last night I made Chicken Piccata, a yummy, lemony, buttery, tangy, tasty chicken dish. I didn't use a recipe last night and pretty much went from memory from the past when I've made it, so I may or may not have used garlic in the past...I'm guessing not, because what happened, just about had me calling the food police to make sure we were not going to die!

In a nutshell, chicken dusted with flour, sauteed in olive oil until golden brown and delicious. Remove. I tossed in three minced garlic cloves, quickly tossed that around to prevent burning. Added the juice of one lemon, some chopped parsley, stirred. Added a cup of broth, simmer to reduce. Add some capers and butter, pour of chicken. YUM.

OK, so what happened.

My Garlic Turned BLUE! I'm not kidding. My garlic turned BLUE BLUE BLUE! I've never seen this. OK, so a quick Google search gave me an answer and might have sent my name to the Justice Department?
Garlic contains anthocyanins, water-soluble pigments that turn blue or purple in an acid solution. While this color transformation tends to occur more often with immature garlic, it can differ among cloves within the same head of garlic. The garlic flavor remains unchanged, and it totally edible without bodily harm.
OK, solved! I really was freaked out and my tasty dish looked silly with the blue dots in it. I think the past I didn't do garlic or I did shallots?!?!! But I don't remember. Maybe added the lemon juice later helps?

`

8 comments:

ScottE. said...

Oh, and I added an extra TB of sugar! And I still added the dried ginger...no reason not to. Anyone have any suggestions for another spice that goes well with blueberries?

Stef said...

Wow, blue garlic??? Maybe that should be the name for the restaurant you'll open someday. :-)

I hope the head stuff works out well soon. Does the dr. say anything about caffeine intake?

Lady Brandenburg said...

Blue garlic - I love it! That sounds like something that would happen to me!

Dancer in DC said...

The scones were yummy.

Blue garlic - I thought I'd seen everything. I can confirm that it tastes no different. But honestly there are very few (if any) dishes that contain garlic where you might actually want to see something blue in there. Bizarre!

ScottE. said...

As I kept saying BLUE GARLIC BLUE GARLIC BLUE GARLIC...I thought Cookbook Title. So let it be known here and now....I here by copyright the title BLUE GARLIC for my cookbook, when and if it is ever put together and the first recipe will be the Chicken Picatta.

as for the caffeine, it helps with the head and there were no warnings on the literature with the drugs, so as of now, we're ok.

ScottE. said...

Nope, no pictures...must have been too hungry to think about it.

The garlic was "organic" and I think it was "younger" garlic...the skin was very thin and easy to clean. That might have had something to do with the blue garlic.

Anonymous said...

Blue, huh? Fascinating.

Anonymous said...

Oh my gosh! I am SO grateful for your post!!

I was making Shrimp Scampi last night and I ended up with BLUE shrimp scampi and I called all of my friends and asked "has your garlic ever turned blue?" and they said "it's probably not really blue, it's green" It WAS BLUE! :)

Thank you SO much for putting my mind at ease. It did taste good, but looked ridiculous.

The chicken piccatta sounded good though.

Amanda
(random Google Searcher who found your blog) :)