Wednesday, November 16, 2005

Thanksgiving Reading

A couple stories from today's New York Times:

The Pilgrims Didn't Brine
I will be doing a basic kosher turkey with some basic seasoning, yum yum.

Serving Essence of Pumpkin
This year will see three pumpkin desserts. A classic, traditional pie, a pumpkin chiffon pie and pumpkin bars!

What to Make First?
Thanksgiving really is a three/four day process. I would say 75% of the cooking will be done in advance and just re-heated as the turkey rests.


Wahoo! Just over a week to go kids.

3 comments:

DC Food Blog said...

I am anti-brining. I don't know why because my friends served a brined turkey breast one year and it was wonderful. Having to THINK so much about turkey bacteria is daunting for me. I just wanted to slather some compound butter under the skiin and throw it in the oven. What's your experience with brining?

ScottE. said...

I don't brine. And really it's because of space. I have one regular sized fridge, I don't have containers big enough, nor do I have a cooler. And I don't think I've had one. We went kosher last year and it was great! Butter, herbs and spices and delish!

Anonymous said...

I'm also anti-brining, so it pains me greatly when my Alton Brown says that it's really the only way to cook a turkey. I think it's partly because I enjoy the process of cooking so much- I *like* buttering the skin, I *like* basting. And my turkey never seems to suffer for it. A brined turkey supposedly needs less attention and care, and produces juicy, flavorful meat. But for those of us who like to make Thanksgiving dinner (really the only time I roast an entire turkey) an occasion, brining seems almost like cheating.
MCB