Contributed by Lady Brandenburg:
This is another Weight Watchers recipe from their website. It’s sort of a Mexican Lasagna. It’s a nice little change from the same old tacos we usually make. I adjusted the recipe by adding taco seasoning to the turkey, using regular flour tortillas and by adding toppings at the end like fat free sour cream. If you are not counting calories, use regular cheese, but I think reduced fat cheese tastes just like real cheese in a recipe like this. We made this is a regular sized rectangular baking dish, not a pie plate. Again, my non-dieting husband LOVED this and it’s another recipe that is so filling, you don’t really need any side dishes with it, and also is not too bad left over.
1 serving cooking spray (5 one-second sprays per serving)
3/4 pound uncooked ground turkey breast
1 medium onion, chopped
1 tsp chili powder
3 Tbsp all-purpose flour
1 cup fat-free skim milk
4 oz canned jalapeno peppers, drained and chopped
1/2 tsp ground cumin
2 large burrito-size wheat flour tortillas
3 cup tomatoes, chopped
2 oz low-fat cheddar or colby cheese, shredded (about 1/2 cup) FOR FILLING
1/2 oz low-fat cheddar or colby cheese, shredded (about 2 tablespoons) FOR TOPPING
1. Preheat oven to 350°F. Coat a large skillet with cooking spray. Heat skillet over medium heat. Place turkey, onion and chili powder in skillet and cook until turkey is browned, stirring occasionally to crumble meat, about 8 minutes. Remove turkey mixture from skillet and set aside.
2. Place skillet over medium-high heat and add flour. Gradually add milk, stirring with a whisk until blended. Bring to a boil, reduce heat to medium and simmer until thickened, about 2 minutes.
3. Remove skillet from heat; stir in turkey mixture, jalapenos and cumin.
4. Wrap tortillas in damp paper towels and microwave on HIGH until softened, about 15 seconds. Place 1 tortilla in bottom of a 9-inch pie plate. Spread 1/3 of turkey mixture over tortilla. Spoon 1 cup of tomato on top and sprinkle with 1/4 cup of cheese. Repeat layers with remaining ingredients ending up with 2 tablespoons of cheese.
5. Cover pie plate with aluminum foil and cook until cheese melts, about 15 minutes. Let stand, covered, 2 minutes before cutting into 6 wedges.