Monday, October 10, 2005

Contributed Recipe: Chicken & Broccoli

Contributed by: Lady Brandenburg

Another successful recipe from Weight Watchers website www.weightwatchers.com . This is Chicken and Broccoli in Garlic Sauce. Non-dieting hubby loved it. I adjusted the recipe by:

1) using 6 garlic cloves instead of three

2) using white Jasmine rice because I haven’t entered the world of brown rice yet

3) using Mrs. Dash instead of thyme

4) adding about 2-3 tablespoons of Hoisin sauce to the whole thing because I just can’t make Chinese food without it

5) added another thing I now add to all Chinese food – about two tablespoons of the garlic and hot red pepper relish (can’t remember the actual name for this stuff, but it makes anything garlicky and spicy!).

I ate the suggested half cup of rice and one cup of the chicken/broccoli/sauce, and with the exception of sneaking a few bits of chicken while storing the leftovers, it was plenty filling. And this is yet another dish that needs no side dish – it’s a meal in itself.

Ingredients
2 tsp olive oil
3 medium garlic clove(s), minced, or more to taste
1 pound uncooked boneless, skinless chicken breast, cut into 1-inch pieces
1 tsp dried thyme, or 2 tbsp fresh minced thyme, or to taste
1/2 tsp table salt
1/4 tsp black pepper
2 cup broccoli, florets
1 1/2 cup canned chicken broth, reduced-sodium
1 1/2 Tbsp cornstarch
2 cup cooked brown rice, kept hot

Instructions
1. Heat oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Add garlic and cook 1 minute. Season chicken with thyme, salt and pepper and add to skillet. Cook until browned on all sides, stirring frequently, about 3 minutes.

2. Add broccoli to skillet, cover and cook 2 minutes. Add 1 cup of broth, cover and simmer until chicken is cooked through, about 5 minutes.

3. Dissolve cornstarch in remaining 1/2 cup of broth and add mixture to skillet. Simmer until mixture thickens, stirring constantly, about 1 minute. Serve over rice.

Yields about 1 cup of chicken mixture and 1/2 cup of rice per serving.

3 comments:

Dancer in DC said...

Mmm...that sounds good, simple, and delicious.

Broccoli can be such a challenge to cook with. Frozen is always hit-or-miss. If you can find good-looking fresh, I recommend it.

The Kara said...

I'm TOTALLY trying this out today. I really don't want to go to the store though and I don't have the corn starch so it might not hang together that well, but I'm gonna give it a try. Thanks so much, Lady and I'll post after I made it. What's so great is that I generally DO have most of these ingredients hanging around the house (and even though it's not ideal but I'm doing the frozen broccoli!).

The Kara said...

I cooked this tonight and it was delish. As I mentioned below, I did not use corn starch b/c I didn't have any on hand (but had everything else and really didn't feel like leaving the apt. today), but it was still great, just not as thick. I did add in the hoisin sauce and used the thyme - I actually liked the thyme quite a bit. It made lots and I do have enough to take it to work and froze the rest. Good call, Lady!