Friday, August 19, 2005

Fancy. Tasty! Too much work....

This recipe was Thursday night's dinner. It was delish! But too much work. I didn't have much fun making it. I would make it again, on a weekend, for a special occasion, but not during the week. I'm going to post the recipe as it is in the book. If you're interested in knowing the few things I did differently, let me know. Also, I cut the recipe in half.

This one also comes from White Dog Cafe Cookbook. Again, really tasty, but a pain! And there is a marinade that should work for four to twelve hours...I did one...cause I didn't read the recipe well enough.

Sherry Roasted Pork Tenderloin with Ginger Glaze
(serves 6)

3 pork tenderloins, trimmed of excess fat
1 cup Spicy Asian Marinade (Below)
1 cup dry sherry
1/4 whole lemon
2 TBS coarsley chopped fresh ginger
1 shallot, minced
5 black peppercorns
1 allspice berry
1 bay leaf
1 1/2 cup Veal Demi-Glace (Below)
1 TB grated fresh ginger
1/4 tsp salt

Spicy Asian Marinade
1/4 cup soy sauce
1/4 cup dry sherry
1/4 cup water
1 1/2 TB grated fresh ginger
1 1/2 tsp minced garlic
1 1/2 tsp chili paste (available in Asian markets/aisles)
1 TB light brown sugar
1 scallion, thinly sliced
1 TB vegetable oil

Combine all ingredients in a bowl and mix well. Use immediately or cover and refrigerate for up to 1 week. Good for grilled pork, chicken or firm fleshed fish like tuna or swordfish.

Veal Demi-Glace

This is ridiculous...I didn't do it! To do it right...would be 12 hours! I don't have that time. You need to make veal stock with the following stuff: vegetable oil, veal bones, white onion, carrots, celery, tomato paste, water, bay leaf, parsley, peppercorns and dry red wine. This cooks through various stages...ask, I can give you the recipe later...it cooks for up to 7 hours. Then when the veal stock is done, you simmer for three hours until the volume (4 quarts) is reduced by half. Then into a new pot and simmer for another 2 hours until syrupy. That's that. Easy as pie! Is it worth it, I'm sure it is, but I'm not my grandma, wish I was sometimes...but I don't have that time. I know you can buy it at some gourmet stores. I substituted with reduced bouillon and veggies and some other stuff....ask!

OK, back to the real recipe.

1) Place the tenderloin in a shallow dish and cover with the marinade for 4 to 12 hours. Refrigerate.

2) In saucepan, combine sherry, lemon, chopped ginger, shallot, peppercorns, allspice and bay leaf. Bring to a boil, lower heat. Simmer until most of the liquid evaporates, about 10 minutes.

3) Add the Demi-glace and simmer for 2 minutes. Strain, discard solids. Stir the grated ginger and salt. Keep warm or refrigerate. You'll use this later to put on top of the sliced tenderloin.

4) When ready, preheat oven to 400

5) Place the tenderloins a few inches apart on a roasting pan. Roast in the center of the oven until the interal temperature is 150. Mine took 20 minutes, the book says 12-15. Remove from oven and let rest for 5 minutes. Temperature will rise to finish cooking.

6) Slice pork into 1/4 inch rounds, top with the reserved glaze.

I served with jasmine rice and ginger glazed carrots.

Again, really good, but lots of work! Enjoy!

^^^^

No comments: