Thursday, July 14, 2005

Sublime

There is an article in today's New York Times' online edition. The story will probably be available for two weeks or so before you would need to retrieve it from their archives. It is a brief story of a woman who started her own spice company. From the article and from the woman's website, I feel like I can start to smell and taste these exotic flavors. Makes me think about the journey of man and how hundreds of years ago humans were drawn to these, driven by the desire to bring back the luscious and decadent herbs and spices that would transform the ordinary to the sublime! I highly encourage you to take a moment to read the Time's article and then visit the woman's website. I'm sure I'll be ordering some canisters of spices in a few weeks. The one I'm most interested, is the Australian Wattle Seed.

There are also recipes on the website for use with these herbs and spices. If you try anything, or buy anything, let me know. I'll do the same. Specifically the Wattle Seed Creme Brulee. WOOF!

New York Times article: For The Spice Rack That Has Everything
I might repost the article later, so that future blog readers will have easy access. If I do, I'll change the link.

nirmala's kitchen: BRING HOME THE EXOTIC


~^~^~^~^~

4 comments:

ScottE. said...

I can resist all things except temptation! I ordered the following:
Australian Wattle Seed (ground)
Penang Satay Blend
Zanzibar Cheromula
Australian Lemon Myrtle (ground)
Australian Bush Tomato (ground)

I'll let you know what they are like and how I use them.

Anonymous said...

Here's a website I've been meaning to check for ages... I can't remember where I first heard about it: www.penzeys.com. It appears they are based in Brookfield, WI.

It does not seem quite as exotic as those on this woman's website, but check out the Northwoods Seasoning and the Turkish Seasoning.

Your post made me think of this website, so I finally checked it out and thought I'd pass it along!

ScottE. said...

Thanks for the website Terri L in WI! Appreciate it. Everyone should buy one crazy spice and see how to use and report back?!?!?!

Anonymous said...

I AM a crazy spice....