Sunday, August 27, 2006

Cafe Berlin

We love Cafe Berlin, period.

We have been going there regularly for six years or so. I first went for a work function and it was great. Last night we went to celebrate a birthday and our party of nine had a great time!

They know what they do and generally do it well. In the six years we've been going their might have been a time or two when I wasn't totally satisfied, but they always redeem themselves.


Mmmm, Beir!

I would say this has to be the best dish at Cafe Berlin, Deutsche Wurstplatte; Bratwurst and Weisswurst with sauerkraut and home fries!

Another awesome dinner; Kassler Rippchen, smoked pork chops! Like a really delicious, rich, chunk of ham. One other dish that would highly, highly recommend is the Ungarische Goulash; Hungarian Goulash, rich and meaty morsels of beef on spaetzle!

A gin martini with some special gin the restaurant had, Hendricks? I can't remember, I didn't order it, but had sip. I'm not a fan of gin in general, but this was pretty tasty. Outside of the beer and cocktails, there were several bottles of this tasty wine!

As a rule of thumb, the desserts at Cafe Berlin are not that great. A few times we've found some cakes to be pretty good. I'm starting to think that they may have changed their baker, because more often than not, the desserts have been getting better. BUT...this dessert isn't a Cafe Berlin dessert. The mother of the birthday girl brought a homemade Rum Cake and the restaurant was kind enough to serve it up for us. Divine. I'm going to have to get this recipe some day!

4 comments:

Stef said...

This looks tasty. I haven't had any wurst or kraut for a long time, but there was this place in Pittsburgh that did German food really well and I loved it. I should really try Cafe Berlin!

I also appreciate any place that lets you bring in dessert for a special occasion. Ella's Pizza on 9th has done that for me before. Props!

Lady Brandenburg said...

Good pictures! A good and yummy time was had by all!!!

Lady Brandenburg said...

And glad you liked my mom's rum cake - as with many things, it's better the next day (rum soaks in a little) and I had to giant pieces last night after dinner. YUMMMMMMM.

Dancer in DC said...

If I could only eat in one restaurant in DC ever again, I would choose Cafe Berlin in a heartbeat.